Saturday, March 5, 2011

The wages of foolishness!

My brother Allen has spent many years and much effort to leave ridiculous, misleading and generally foolish communications in song, prose and poetry for me on the phone.  Sometimes he doesn't even need to be involved for his foolishness to bear fruit!  This is what happened this AM that prompted me to send a note off to him:
    Let it be known that your foolishness has its effects even when you aren't directly involved!  This morning I received a call with a CT exchange that my phone didn't recognize.  Being the professional that I am I know that new customers will not be listed in my contact list, so I answer the phone.  Oh yes, there you were Allen asking me about picking up a violin you had recently left for repair, but I was on to you immediately.
     "I've been meaning to talk to you about that."  I said. "Unfortunately I left it out in the yard and then ran it over with my car.  I know it was only worth $10,000-12,000, so you're not out a whole lot of money. Your homeowners might even cover some of that."
     There was a pause, then "Allen" said, "I didn't really think it was worth quite that much..."  I then realized this was not my dear brother calling to harass me.
     "I'm sorry!"  I told the caller, "I thought you were my brother who seems to live to harass me and I figured a preemptive strike was called for!"
     "I'm not sure I'd want to be your brother!" the caller said.
     I switched directions, "We have your violin?  I didn't think we had anyone's violin just now?"  As it turned out he had dropped his fiddle off at Louise's place for a minor adjustment, which she did without bringing it into the shop, and he wanted to pick it up, but didn't have a phone number for her from the website.  "Let me give that to you", I offered graciously.  See, you just need to know how to behave in a professional manner to develop a great business reputation!


1 comment:

  1. Love it! This is almost the same caliber of funny as you painting the wrong church in ME last summer! :-D

    ReplyDelete